20 Fabulous Reasons to Go Vegetarian
“The best prescription is knowledge.”– C. Everett Koop, 13th Surgeon General of the United States
By now you probably know that plant-based eating can improve your health, as well as benefiting animals and the earth. Need a few more reasons to swap that fast food burger for a tasty black bean patty? Here you go:
- Only 2% of vegans suffer from obesity, vs. 68% of overweight people eating a typical American diet.
- As former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop has noted, 70% of Americans are dying from diseases that are directly tied to their eating habits.
- A diet high in low-fiber meat and dairy products promotes weight gain.
- The National Cancer Institute says that women eating meat daily are nearly four times more likely to get breast cancer than those who don’t.
- Each year, U.S. factory farms collectively produce 2 billion tons of manure, which is rated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as one of the country’s top 10 pollutants.
- Heart disease can begin in childhood, when saturated fat from meat/dairy products starts to occlude young arteries.
- Most Americans have some degree of arterial blockage, and plant foods can help nip it in the bud─and even help reverse past build-up.
- Women who consume at least one serving of vegetables a day reduce their risk of breast cancer by 20-30%, according to the Harvard Nurses’ Health Study.
- Vegetarian foods are delicious! Elite chefs worldwide proudly feature plant-based entrées as starring menu items.
- “Spring clean” your body! Deleting meat helps purge pesticides, environmental pollutants, and preservatives that overload our systems and promote illness.
- The inhumanity of factory farms and slaughter houses would make vegetarians out of many of us if we actually observed these practices.
- Fecal contamination of chicken and other meat products is a leading source of E. coli in the U.S. food supply.
- Animals accumulate dangerous chemicals in their flesh and fat, such as dioxins, antibiotics, pesticides, herbicides─even arsenic─which meat eaters consume.
- Plant foods are rich in natural chemicals with powerful antioxidant properties that can reduce your risk of cancer and many other health issues.
- More than 50 million cases of food borne illness occur in the U.S. every year─most of which are meat-related.
- Mad cow disease is a viable threat. Farm animals are still being fed the remains of diseased animals—in violation of World Health Organization recommendations.
- Who needs Viagra? Going veg can naturally minimize meat’s artery-clogging action─which affects more organs than your heart.
- While average bone loss for a 65 yr. old vegetarian woman is 18%, it’s twice that for meat-eaters.
- Going veg often makes sense to kids, especially when they realize that “meat” is actually coming from animals they love.
- Unless you would eat your dog, why should you eat a cow? The difference is only cultural.
While there are many additional, equally compelling reasons to “delete the meat,” it’’s easy to see how far reaching the benefits are. However, it’s by no means all or nothing. In fact, part time─or flexitarian─plant-based eating may be the “new world gourmet!”